Monday 21 May 2007

Socks Socks everywhere, and not a pair to wear!

I finally finished the trekking socks for my bro in law's birthday (which was this weekend just gone). He absolutely loved them, and proudly spent all morning pottering around the house in them, while diligently clearing up from the party the night before. So with those out of the way, I now seriously have to start thinking about sockapalooza!

I have spun about 3 1/2 oz of 2ply for my main pals socks, and it's beautiful. I want to do a pair of knee high boot socks, with cables, but I have a mental block when it comes to using other peoples sock patterns, so rather then using one of the fabulous designs from CookieA, I am manically trying to make something up. This has resulted in about 100 pages of drawings, and 10 frogged attempts!!! I have dozens of patterns that I could conceivably use, but none of them quite feel right for these socks.

In a final desperate bid, I have ordered the Vogue Cable stitchionary. If that doesn't provide inspiration, I will have to resort to a bought pattern **weeps**

I have also signed up to be a sock saviour, now these I haven't really given any thought to. Would it be rude to knit long socks for pal 1 and ankle socks for pal 2? I also want to spin the yarn for pal 2's socks, she seems to like bright colours, so really need to start thinking about what to do for that, as I don't have all that many bright colours in my stash. - I'll try to post some pics later

I am also spinning 2 shades of green, so that Hubby can have a pair of camo socks (I'm randomly changing the shade of green throughout the spinning, then will over dye with some brown, to create pooling), and am finishing up a new pattern design, which I am keeping secret for now!

What is driving me slightly potty, is that I rarely wear socks, but I was looking for a pair to take away with me this weekend, and realised that I have only ever knit myself one pair, and those are slipper socks! So it has been decided that I will be keeping secret pair for myself, as my reward. I'm so glad that I will be getting a pair from my sock pal, socks for me is a novel idea.

In other news, I go into hospital over night on Wednesday, for my sleep study, so shouldn't be too long now before the doc can give me a firm diagnosis. I'm quite looking forward to it really, a whole day, where all they want me to do is sleep (they are trying to diagnose a sleep disorder). Wish me luck!

5 Comments:

Blogger s b said...

Love the idea for the knee-high socks! Maybe you could do one "fancy" cable down the center front of the sock. I really like the horseshoe cable and shadow cable from Vogue stitchionary--not sure what page they're on.
Did your sock savior pal give preferences for cuff length? You could always ask if you're unsure...I've been contacted by my knitter pal and I've contacted my downstream pal and both exchanges went well and I learned a lot. If no preference is given, I would probably aim for a 6-8" cuff--mid-calf length.

21 May 2007 at 05:54  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I can second the idea with the fancy cable. But it sounds like you want to be a bit fancier than that, so maybe smaller cables and ribs down the side with seed stitch in between? Designing a pair of socks is a lot of work!

21 May 2007 at 22:58  
Blogger Cirilia said...

WHOA--handspun cabled knee highs to wear with boots?! I really hope I'm your pal!!

22 May 2007 at 00:40  
Blogger Jess P. said...

Oh please let me be your sock pal! Knee high socks sound incredible. I think the 2nd sock receipent will be happy with any socks. I know I will be! I've never knit a pair of socks for myself - I've never knit anything for myself actually - so I'm super psyched about getting a pair just for me.

22 May 2007 at 08:20  
Blogger BabyLongLegs said...

Okay, so I did the meme you tagged me with, quite reluctantly. But seeing as its you :)
Missed you Tuesday.....hope the sleep study went okay.....
((((Hug))))
Love
Sarah xXx

26 May 2007 at 06:41  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home