Wednesday 2 May 2007

The first lot of spinning is off the spindle for my first ever home spun socks. I think I have enough to do the first sock (I hope so anyway) It's 2 ply, 1ply white, and the other dyed with coffee for a caramel colour, and I have spun in some emerald green nylon thread for strength (although you can't actually tell that it's green now that it's spun in). Here is the wound ball


And here is the start of the sock that is being knitted from it. I have managed to keep a remarkable consistency, with relatively few slubs, and it's even sock thickness. I was worried at one point that these might end up being really thick slipper socks, but no, it seems they are going to be remarkably wearable, even under shoes!!!!
Hopefully when this pair are finished it may be enough for me to persuade hubby that a spinning wheel will be a good investment. Although I may be satisfied for another few months when I receive the journey spindle (bloodwood and walnut, and simply beautiful)I've ordered. I'm also trying to persuade him that a couple of angora rabbits would make the ideal pet, as he won't let me get a dog or a rat (my favourite pet, which I have now been 3 years without!)

Perhaps this is one occasion where nagging isn't going to work?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

oh they look gorgeous, looking forward to seeing them finished. Well done you!

3 May 2007 at 06:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home