Tuesday 21 August 2007

FTP & Computer info

WoollyWormHead recently posted about how she would like her blog to be on her site rather then on blogspot, but didn't want to faff around with HTML and things every time she wanted to post!

It is possible to have your blog hosted on your own site, while still using the lovely easy blogger interface, so I thought I's post on how to do this! (before I do though, I need to say sorry to my sock pal gifter, I promise that as soon as my camera is working I will post about the lovely socks you sent).

OK there are 2 ways to do this.

1. If you only want to use the site for your blog, you can contact your hosting provider, and ask them to point your DNS to Bloggers hosting. Then all you need to do is give blogger your URL, and they do all of the hard work. You can also buy a domain direct from blogger and they will set it all up for you!

2. If your blog is only part of your site, here's how you do it!

  • change your blog to classic template. When you go to do this, blogger will show you a box with code in, before you revert the template, copy this code and paste it in a text file (notepad on windows will do) save it for later, then click revert.
  • go to settings > Publishing
  • Select publish via FTP (not SFTP!)
  • these are the fields and what you put in them;
FTP Server: this is your website address without the www, so; example.com
URL: your full site address; http://www.example.com
Path: in most cases this is Public_HTML
File name: This can be whatever you want, I recommend blog.html Make sure you put.html at the end of whatever name you choose. This means that with the file name I've just chosen, the address for the blog would be www.example.com/blog.html
Feed file name: Atom.xml (you can let all of your readers know beforehand that your new feed address will be www.example.com/atom.xml) - Bloglines will let you claim your own feeds, but it doesn't always work with blogger, so make sure you post the new feed address, so you don't loose anyone!
FTP User name: This is the user name that your hosting company will have given you, it is the same one that allows you to upload files to your website, or access your control panel (usually)
FTP Password:This is the user name that your hosting company will have given you, it is the same one that allows you to upload files to your website, or access your control panel (usually)
Pings: choose whatever you had it set to before (usually yes)

Then click republish!

Once your blog has republished, go to template and you will see the same box of code as before. cut the code from that box and paste it into a second text file (this is just a backup) now paste the code from your first text file back into the box, and re-publish.

when you view blog, it should look just like it always did, only it will now be on your own address. Don't forget that if there are any links on your site pointing to your blog, you will need to update them to the new address.

You can carry on using blogger just as you always did for all of your posting!

I will put a permanent link to this post on the sidebar, so you can come back to it!

ed: Val has asked how to revert to classic template, good question cos it isn't in the template list...if you go to settings > Publishing there will be 2 little blue links one that says "allow everyone to see your blog" or "edit permissions", something like that, and another that says "revert to classic template"...it's the second one :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Woolly Wormhead said...

Thank you! I shall try this this afternoon and let you know how I get on... finger's crossed ;)

I know how long it can take sometimes writing how-to's or tutorials, so this is very much appreciated!

22 August 2007 at 00:03  
Blogger Unknown said...

*kicks bloglines*

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen a post from you in ages. Today I see 22 in bloglines. And some were ones that had never come through. *sigh*

22 August 2007 at 03:25  
Blogger Ang said...

you wanna say that again in english? LOL

Thank you for your help with Ravelry though. It looks great. I'm still not in, but I can't be far off now surely?

Yep, I'll publish the pattern for the beetle once I've got it finished.

Hope you're well x

22 August 2007 at 07:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I´ll be a patient little girl :-)

Naaah, as long as you like ´em I don´t care whether you blog about them or not.

22 August 2007 at 16:39  
Blogger Val Grainger said...

Help! I know I'm dim but how do you change back to classic template........i cannot seem to have that option!

23 August 2007 at 03:23  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home