Wednesday 4 April 2007

No seam socks on 2 needles

Ok, I have had an epiphany moment, for no seam socks knitted on 2 needles. Impossible I hear you shout! well maybe, they came to me this morning, so I haven't had chance to give them a try yet, but I needed to get the pattern down quick before I forget. So If you're feeling brave, or just like being a test subject feel free to give them a try. (they do assume that you have knit socks and particularly a short row heel before. If you have never knit socks, keep checking back. I will post the full pattern once I have had chance to try it myself)

Cast on 60 st (or however many you normally cast on for socs. It needs to be an even number though)
move half onto a second needle (one that you're not going to use for knitting)
now with the second needle from the pair you are going to knit with, pick up one stitch from each needle alternately.

All rows: k1 sl1p, p1 sl1k until you have an inch or so of rib (this is the bit I'm not sure will work, but bare with me)
once you have finished the rib;
all rows: k1 sl1p until you have the length of your sock right down to the bottom of your heel.

slip alternate stitches onto 2 separate needles, you should have found that you have made a tube? If so then now you see where this is going...if not it's probably my instructions, so frog it, use the yarn for something else, and pop back in a few days when i have had chance to have a go my self.

knit a short row heel

move all of the stitches back onto one needle, alternating as before
k1sl1p on all rows, until you have reached the desired foot length.

Toe shaping
1 & 2) k1sl1 pkso k1 sl1p across (pkso = pass knit stitch over)
3 & 4) sl1p * k1 sl1p* across
5 & 6) sl1p k1 psso sl1p * to * across
7&8) k1 sl1p across

Repeat these 4 rows 14 times more

split back onto 2 needles & cast off / graft toes

Hope this works. Let me know if you give it a go. I'll post back when I finish it myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

This looks interesting! I think I'll wait until you've had a go so I can see what you're trying to do...good luck though and I'll give it a try. definitey!

5 April 2007 at 23:27  
Blogger Julie said...

Hello - saw your post on sockamaniacsockdesigners. It looks like it will work, but I'm not sure if it's more work or less than using dpns or circulars!

13 April 2007 at 01:37  
Blogger Julie said...

And it might be difficult to get the tension tight enough to make a good sock fabric, without having to fight with every stitch. Let us know how it goes.

13 April 2007 at 01:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home